Unit 3 CE371 Assignment
This is the book;
D.J. Sciarra. (2016) Developing and Administrating. A child care and Education Program
Managing the Hiring, Supporting, and Evaluation of Staff
Imagine you are a Director for a brand new early childhood facility and are responsible for the direct hiring, support, and evaluation of the early childhood staff. Your responsibilities include: developing hiring questions, establishing a support structure, and applying evaluation methods. You decide to create a Director’s Manual that will guide you on your requirements and expectations.
For this Assignment, you will use the Unit 3 Assignment Template to complete the three parts of the guide. Be sure to revisit the readings so far in this course for support in this Assignment.
Part 1: Hiring
Many times, interview questions are determined in advance of the interview to help standardize the process so the answers can be evaluated equally from each candidate (Sciarra, Lynch, Adams, & Dorsey, 2016). When developing interview questions, consider the job description for the candidate, and avoid questions that are in violation of the Civil Rights Act, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It is important to only ask questions that are important for the particular job to be filled (Sciarra, Lynch, Adams, & Dorsey, 2016).
Using the NAEYC’s 5 Guidelines for Effective Teaching, please complete the chart in the template and provide the following for each of the five guidelines:
- Create one essential interview question that is tied to the guideline.
- Discuss how you would evaluate the candidate’s response to this question and provide keywords/elements that you are looking for in the response. For the purposes of this assignment, assume the interview questions are for the teaching staff.
Part 2: Supporting
Once quality staff are hired, the next task is to retain them, since continuity of caregiving is important for the children’s social/emotional development. Retaining staff requires a positive climate of care, trust, and respect. The director is mainly responsible for creating this climate as well as a sense of community and the ability to empower each employee to do their best (Sciarra, Lynch, Adams, & Dorsey, 2016).
For this next part of this Assignment, use 1-2 paragraphs to respond to each question below:
- What will you do to create a positive climate of care, trust, and respect?
- How will you motivate staff to provide a high quality program for young children and their families?
strategies will you use to help staff:
- Manage the classroom?
- Maintain parent cooperation?
- Support children with special needs?
Part 3: Evaluating
Performance evaluations should be conducted regularly to help staff members know how they are doing and how they can improve. It is important for the director to note how employees are doing so they can coach and guide them to perform their best (Sciarra, Lynch, Adams, & Dorsey, 2016).
For the final part of this Assignment, use 1-2 paragraphs to respond to each question below:
- How will regular on-going staff performance evaluations be conducted?
- What will your coaching/guidance program be?
Writing Requirements and Assignment Guidelines
Your Assignment should include the following elements:
- Title Page: Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
Complete all three parts. Answer the questions in complete sentences
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
- Reference Page: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced
- Use 6th Edition APA Formatting and Citation style