1. This problem-solving application profiles electronics retailer Best Buy. The entrance of Amazon and Walmart into the online resale marketplace gashed Best Buy’s instore sales. When you couple that with inefficient processes and procedures at the organization, and scandals with senior leadership, the organization really was in dire straits. Organizations such as Circuit City, CompUSA and RadioShack could not survive their problems, could Best Buy? In came new CEO Hubert Joly and CFO Sharon McCollam. They are now in the middle of the many challenges Best Buy is facing and need to find solutions to these major problems.
2. Some of Best Buy’s internal issues could best be addressed by ______
- changing customer preferences
- internal competition
- demographic changes
- participation/suggestions by employees
- mergers and acquisitions
3. If Best Buy chose to compete by introducing online sales direct to the consumer, this would be an example of ______ change
- radically innovative
4. Which type of analytical framework could help Best Buy develop a strategic plan?
- competing values analysis
- SWOT analysis
- systems analysis
- force field analysis
- organizational development analysis
5. Best Buy might use all of the methods of change listed below. Which of these includes inputs, strategic plans, target elements of change, and outputs?
- organizational structure plan
- social factors method
- organizational arrangement
- three-stage model of planned change
- systems model of change
6. When other tactics will not work or are too expensive, the best approach to overcoming resistance to change is
- facilitation and support
- manipulation and co-optation
- explicit and implicit coercion
- participation and involvement
- education and commitment
7. The majority of problems Best Buy is facing have been brought about by ______ forces.
8. The change brought about by online competition from Amazon and Walmart are examples of _____
9. Best Buy’s new CEO and CFO will need to function as catalysts in helping the organization to deal with old problems in new ways. They would then be known as
10. Recommend a solution to the problem outlined above in no more than 175- words