Module: Marketing Research & Intelligence (BM031-3-2)
This assignment requires you to draw on several areas of study within the Module. You are expected to demonstrate and will be evaluated onthe following outcomes:
- Understand the proper use of various research techniques (the when and how to use them) either for improving in-house research or for evaluating research projects farmed out to external research consulting firms
- Know at least some of the techniques used for different research objectives.
- Use research in competitive analysis and target market segmentation; measuring customer reactions and promotional effectiveness.
- Design efficient and effective research that providessolutions to stated objectives.
- Apply the research results for managerial implications, and
- Appreciate the intricacies of conducting marketing research including issues of ethics.
A). The Assignment Brief
Select any ONE (1) of the following scenarios, and prepare a marketing research report of approximately 2,000 words. You are required touse secondary and primary data for your research information.
Malaysia is establishing its market share in the education industry. As a consultant, you have been given the task to conduct a market research study on the pull factors of why do foreign students chose to pursue their tertiary education in Malaysia.
B). Assignment Structure/Marks Allocation
Your research reportshould cover the following: Marks Allocated
|Part One: Executive Summary||(5 marks)|
|Part Two: Introduction & Research Background a. Statement of the problem b. Objectives of the research: Identify what are the general objectives and specific objectives of the research and its link to research problem||(20 marks)|
|Part Three: Literature Review a. Theoretical framework: What are the relevant theories, concepts and models relevant for the research? b. Use of secondary data||(15 marks)|
|Part Four: Research Design& Primary Data Population and sample: Who are the population and sample for the research? What sampling technique proposed and why? Data collection method: Qualitative or quantitative? Measurement: What is your research going to measure? Attach your questionnaire in the Appendix||(40 marks)|
|(Total 100 marks)|
C). The Assignment Guidelines
The assignment must adhere to standard academic documentation standards:
- Please use appropriate citation and reference according to the Harvard Name Referencing System in order to avoid plagiarism.
- Font type should be Times New Roman.
- Font size should be 12 pts.
- Vertical/line spacing should be 1.5 line spacing.
- You must use enough of your own words to convince that you understand what you are writing and are not just “cutting and pasting”. Normally your own words should be no less than 80% of the total word count.
- You should on no account make reference to www.wikipedia.com, www.about.com, www.alibaba.com or the likes as sources for your work. These websites can be useful to provide you with the definitions and the general ideas about the concepts within module but it is not acceptable to be inserted into your academic writing.
- You may include diagrams, figures, tables etc. without word penalty.
- You are required to use at least 8 references with 50% of them are from relevant textbooks, magazines and academic journals. The report should not be more than 2000 words and your word count must be indicated on your cover page. In the event the maximum word limit of 2,000 is exceeded, any part or parts of the essay in excess of the word limit will be disregarded.
- Submit a softcopy of your assignment in CD format together with your written work before or on the submission date.
D). Documentation Requirements
The assignment cover page should contain information as stated below in order:
- APU Logo
- Module Name and Code
- Assignment Title
- Assignment Description (Individual Assignment)
- Intake Number
- Hand out and Hand in dates
- Lecturer’s Name
- Word Count
Table of contents
The table of contents should follow the title page. It may be one or more pages long. The table of contents page(s) will not be numbered.
All the references used in the assignment should be given in this page and must be in Harvard Name Referencing formats.
Include in the appendix any exhibit appropriate to the written entry but not important enough to include in the body; these might include sample questionnaires used, newspaper articles, general background data, etc.
F). ASSIGNMENT ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
The criteria below detail the areas, which will be taken into account when the assignment is marked. The grades awarded will be marked according to the following criteria:
75 and above – This would be equivalent to a Distinction and would represent outstanding performance. The work should show a thorough understanding of the issue together with a high degree of analysis and critical evaluation.
65% – 74% This will be equivalent to a Credit. This would represent extremelygood work demonstrating an in depth understanding of material and sound analysis and conclusions.
50% – 64% This would be equivalent to a Pass. Work in this category should demonstrate good application of the main principles to the question set and provide a well-balanced view.
0% – 49% This would represent a failure to pass demonstrating a poor command of the knowledge of subject area combined with an inability to interpret