CRICOS Provider No. 00103D ITECH 1103 Group Report Semester 2 2019 – Page 1 of 4
ITECH1103- Big Data and Analytics
Group Assignment – Semester 2, 2019
Weight – 20%
Due Date: Analytic Report -Fri, Nov 01, 2019 – 16:00
Analytic Report: Learning Outcomes Assessed: A3, K3, K6, and S2:
Purpose: The purpose of this task is to provide students with practical experience in working in teams to write a data
analytical report to provide useful insights, pattern and trends in the chosen/given dataset. This activity will give
students the opportunity toshow innovation and creativity in applying SASAnalytics, and designing useful visualization
and predictive solutions for various analytics problems.
This is a group assignment and you will complete the task with your team. Your team will be made up of at most 3
members who are all enrolled in the same laboratory – the teams will be allocated by your tutor. It is expected that
each team member will contribute equally to the project.
Your team will use SAS Visual Analytics to explore, analyze and visualize the dataset provided. You will receive feedback
on the draft about presentation choices, content, analysis, and style.
The aim is to use the data set allocated to provide interesting insights, trends and patterns amongst the data. Your
intendedaudience is the CEOand middle managementof a Retail Company.
In addition, each individual team member will write a short reflection as part of the report on their individual
experience on working on the project.
• Task 1- Background information – Write a description of the dataset and project, and its importance for the
organization. Discuss the main benefits of using visual analytics to explore big data. In this you should include
a justification for using the visualizations that you will use and how they have been successful in other similar
projects. This discussion should be suitable for a general audience. Information must come from at least 6
appropriate sources (2 per student) be appropriately referenced. [2 to 3 pages]
• Task 2 – Reporting / Dashboards – For your project, perform the relevant data analysis tasks by answering the
guided questions provided (see Appendix for questions and dataset) and, identify the visualization you need
Note: remove any missing data points from your visualizations where possible/suitable
• Task 3 – Additional Visualizations – In addition to the guided questions, it is expected that each student will
provide at least two other visualizations of the data (i.e. for a group of 3 students this is 6 extra visualizations).
These additional visualizations will be judged in terms of quality of the findings and complexity of analysis.
These visualizations should be using multi-dimensional, filtering and advance calculation techniques.
• Task 4 – Justification -Justify why these visualizations are chosen in Task 2 and 3. Note: To ensure that you
discuss this task properly, you must include visual samples of the reports you produce (i.e. the screenshots of
the BI report/dashboard must be presented and explained in the written report; use ‘Snipping tool’), and also
include any assumptions that you may have made about the analysis in your Task 2 (i.e. the report to the
operational team of the company).[1 to 2 pages]
• Task 5 – Discussion of findings – using the visualizations created discuss the findings from the data set. In this
discussion you should explain what each visualization shows. Then summarize the main findings. [3 to 4 pages]
• Task 6 – Executive Summary – summary of the data analysis including a brief introduction, methods used and
CRICOS Provider No. 00103D ITECH 1103 Group Report Semester 2 2019 – Page 2 of 4
a list of the key findings [1 page only]
• Task 7 – The Reflection (Individual Task) – each team member is expected to write a brief reflection about this
project in terms of challenges, learning and contribution. [1 to 2 pages]
Each member of the group is to submit an electronic copy of the completed group assignment and their own individual
reflection via Moodle.
The report will be approximately 8 to 12 pages in length (not counting cover page and references). The report will
include the following in the order provided below:
• A cover page including the names and student id of all team members
• Table of Contents
• Table of Figures / Tables
• Executive Summary
• The body of the report including reports, insights, justifications and visuals
• Discussion of findings
All references used in your report must be from peer-reviewed sources. Include any and all sources of information
including any person(s)n you interviewed for this project.
Your report should be formatted according to the “Assignment Layout and Appearance Guidelines” and your
references presented using the APA referencing style; information is available:
You are reminded to read the “Plagiarism” section of the course description.
A passing grade will be awarded to assignments adequately addressing all assessment criteria. Higher grades require
better quality and more effort. For example, a minimum is set on the wider reading required. A student reading vastly
more than this minimum will be better prepared to discuss the issues in depth and consequently their report is likely to
be of a higher quality. So before submitting, please read through the assessment criteria very carefully.
CRICOS Provider No. 00103D ITECH 1103 Group Report Semester 2 2019 – Page 3 of 4
ITECH1103- Big Data and Analytics – Assignment 2- Data AnalysisReport Marking Guide
|1 – Background of the Project: Description of Project,|
Datasets and organisation. The importance of project for the
organisation. Benefits and examples provided for the use of
data visualisation using peer reviewed sources.
|2 – Dashboard/Reports utilisation of appropriate data analysis|
tools, visualizations and dashboards developed for the report
|3 – Additional Visualizations The quality and complexity of|
additional visualisations provided other than the guided
|4 – Justification – Each analysis/dashboard and report|
explanation with relevant research papers, complexity and in
depth of the justification.
|5 – Discussion of findings – Key data insights,|
recommendations to achieve organisational objectives with
theoretical justifications with proper references.
|6- Executive summary – Format, key findings and|
|7 – The Reflection (Individual Task)||10|
|Presentation of Report – Report is well-written and presented|
professionally, containing all requirements
|Total Marks out of 20||20%|
CRICOS Provider No. 00103D ITECH 1103 Group Report Semester 2 2019 – Page 4 of 4
Appendix: Data Set and Guided Questions
• SAS VA – Data set – Product-CLEAN – the latest with over 1 GB size
1. GROUP TASK: Create a data dictionary for the data source by the group.
2. How many product categories are in the database?
3. What are top 10 products with respect to All countries?
4. What are the top 10 countries with respect to product frequency?
5. What are the top 10 products from Australia in terms of frequency?
6. What are the top 5 days with respect to most numbers of orders placed by the customers?
7. What are the top 3 and bottom 3 suppliers in terms of quantity ordered?
8. Which product line is most and least popular in terms of frequency and quantity ordered?
9. What are the top 5 countries with respect to each product line?
10. What is the quantity ordered by order type and continent name?
11. What are the number of suppliers and orders for each product line?
12. What is the trend of orders placed over the year?
13. What are the most appropriate predictors of quantity ordered? Hint- use decision tree
14. Create a geomap of the suppliers countries?
15. Create a cluster analysis on products related data.
16. What are the days to delivery for each product line item in each continent?
17. For above question, what are the top 3 suppliers in terms of days to delivery?
18. Draw a bubble plot to show the number of orders with respect to days to delivery.
19. What is the correlation between quantity ordered, cost, retail price and discount in percent?
20. What is the quantity ordered with respect to product line and supplier country?