- Describe the company and the industry in which this company operates.
- Critically evaluate the financial structure of the company by applying the appropriate categories of accounting ratios using a maximum of 5 years of historical data from the annual reports to conclude the financial stability (Current ratio, Debt ratio, Interest earned ratio)of the company.
- Critically comment on the valuation of Non-current assets (including intangible assets) in the company by sourcing the accounting policies through the notes to financial statements.
Self-reflection: Q 4-6 questions below need individual responses from all team members (Max. 250-300 words):
- What are your key learning outcomes from this assessment?
- How this assessment will help you in progressing towards your career in accounting?
- What are your experiences of working in a team group environment?
List of companies: RIO TINTO LIMITED, WOOLWORTHS GROUP LIMITED, TELSTRA CORPORATION LIMITED, HARVEY NORMAN HOLDINGS LIMITED and JB HI-FI LIMITED.
You need to conduct the extended personal research and self-directed learning in order to complete this assignment. Read relevant ‘notes to financial statements’ in the annual report, financial statement section. Ask yourself questions such as;what standards have we discussed in first four weeks which could relate to Non-current assets? What method of depreciation/impairment this company has used?Has any change of accounting policies in relation to these assets been reported?