Coursework 1 Assignment Brief, Assignment Guidelines and Rubric
Assignment Number and Weighting
Coursework 1 Anonymous Yes 40% marking
Submission Date and Time
See Blackboard submission link 23:59:00
Expected return of feedback and marked work
14 working days from the deadline
Electronically via Blackboard (Turnitin) ONLY
Equity Valuation and Market Efficiency Report
Assessment Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the purpose and functions of global financial markets
2. Analyse the role of financial market data in supporting business decisions
3. Critically evaluate the impact of the global financial markets on the business environment
4. Demonstrate the ability to analyse and present quantitative data to support an argument.
5. Use information technology to analyse and communicate financial data
This assignment is the form of a group coursework event analysis
report based on Bio-Techne Corporation, USA. Detailed information of Bio- Techne’s inclusion in the S&P 500 Index is widely available in the internet.
The purpose is to use relevant Excel templates to provide valuation and interpret price impacts following the event.
On 24 August 2021, a press release from S&P Dow Jones Indices, a Division of S&P Global announced that Bio-Techne Corporation, an American developer, manufacturer, and seller of life science and clinical diagnostics reagents, instruments and services for the research, diagnostics, and bioprocessing markets. The press release announced that the Minneapolis- based company will join the S&P 500 index on 30 August 2021.
You are to perform the following tasks:
• Conduct in-depth background research to enhance the analysis of Bio-Techne’s inclusion in the S&P 500 Index event. Such research should demonstrate in-depth understanding and impact on the S&P 500 index as well as the life sciences and healthcare segment of the US market. You should set up a timeline (see Section below) to reflect the chronicle of events and key dates prior to the announcement by S&P Global. (20%)
• Conduct a comprehensive valuation on Bio-Techne Corporation prior to the announcement. Your valuation should use relevant valuation technique(s) to arrive at an appropriately discounted present value (per share). Your valuation must be supported by realistic assumptions (not based on information from stock market analysts). (40%)
• Evaluate the extent of price impacts on Bio-Techne Corporation following the news announcement. Does the movement of share price reflect the insights from Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH)? (40%)