Create a dialogue between two artists discussing their work(s) with
an interviewer asking questions in front of an audience at an art
gallery (much like a panel discussion format). Have Gris or Picasso dialogue with Matisse, Cezanne Gauguin, or van Gogh,
Each one should explain his work(s), influences, philosophy, style,
themes, and meaning, highlighting the reason for the work(s)’ importance
to and impact on the world of art.
Use the style of dialogue used in a play. For example:
Interviewer: Senor Picasso and Monsieur Matisse, which work do you consider your most significant accomplishment and why do you think so?
Picasso: (Confidently) I have so many that are significant, but one that I think is truly a work of genius and innovation is [insert the Title of the Artwork]. This work shows the innovation the art world refers to as Cubism. I was the founder of that movement and perfected the style. No other artist has had that type of influence in the world of art.
Matisse: (Somewhat insulted). If I may be so bold, Senor Picasso, but I think my work has had a greater influence. My [insert the Title of the Artwork] has had a lasting impression, if you excuse the term, on thousands of artists. For example, …
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Create dialogue for selected artist #1 that reflects his influences, philosophy, style, themes, and meaning of his work(s).
- Create dialogue for selected artist #2 that reflected his influences, philosophy, style, themes, and meaning of his work(s).
- Create dialogue for selected artist #1 that highlights the reason for work(s)’s importance and impact on the world of art.
- Create dialogue for selected artist #2 that highlights the reason for work(s)’s importance and impact on the world of art.
- Create appropriate interview questions that facilitate the dialogue and highlighted the comparison between the two (2) artists.
- Include three (3) references that help support the artists’ comments. (The text may be used as one (1) reference.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss the value of visual art for an individual and society.
- Analyze the essential relationship between any work of art and the various kinds of influences on the artist and audience that shape the interpretation of the art.
- Explain the formal elements of various styles of modern art both in general and in specific works.
- Describe the relationship between individual artistic expression and the cultural, social, political, and historical forces which give rise to these expressions.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in modern art.
- Write clearly and concisely about modern art using proper writing mechanics.