BTEC (HNC) Higher National Certificate in Construction and Built Environment Assignment Answers
HNC in Construction and Built Environment Assignment Brief
Document Type : Assignment help (any type)
Subject : Engineering /CDR
Citation/Referencing Style : Oxford
This is a controlled assessment, via examination. You are to submit calculations, diagrams, sketches and other material related to your solution. Written responses must be clearly presented on A4 sheets. Your completed solution must be clearly indicated.
Unit Learning Outcomes
LO1 Explore deflection due to wind loadings, on fixed structures, and strategies to resist wind loading. LO2 Determine bending, shear and deflection for complex support conditions.
LO3. Design complex columns and piled foundations based on calculations. LO4 Explore the design of tensile structures.
Assignment Brief and Guidance
- The Client who is a private investor needs a five storey framed office building. The building frame provides the structure for a series of high specification office rooms and meeting rooms which are intended to be built in the south of England, around Heathrow Airport. The office block can be developed with steel or concrete or a combination of both.
Part 1 – Wind loading
Use the drawings you have prepared for the 5-storey office framed building in the Unit 6 Construction information for the calculation of the following. For the basic wind speed Vb choose a city name starting with your first initial. (If you can’t find any city named with your first initial use the second letter of your first name.). Please write all the formulas clearly and referring to the clause no, figure no or Table no of the standard you are using.
- Dynamic wind pressure
- shear loads
- Overall lateral load on the building
- Uplift load on the roof. In addition, you are to:
- Discuss methods to resist/manage wind
- Discuss the relationship between the building form and wind
- Provide calculations for additional stiffening than may be
Part 2 – Cantilever
Using the drawings for Part 1, you are asked to calculate the loads on cantilever and select suitable sized structural elements to support. You should
- Calculate the proposed solution using different materials in order to select the most appropriate. Calculate the bending shear and
- Discuss the types of connection that will be needed to provide the cantilever. Further discuss the relationship between bending, shear and deflection. Critically evaluate different materials and their structural efficiency in managing bending, shear and
Part 3- Column Design, Foundations types
- Design one of the columns from the given scenario with biaxial bending. Using the eccentricity of load as 200mm. Calculate the dead and live loads as per your Do the column design in steel and Reinforced concrete.
- Prepare design information required for the given scenario utilising piled foundations and steel
- Discuss the benefits of using Building Information Modelling in the design
- Assess the most effective foundation type for a given scenario in terms of ease and speed of construction, economics, safety and environmental factors
Part 4- Tensile Structures
- Discuss different types of tensile structures and their design
- Compare tensile structural solutions to a given
- Further justify the choice of tensile structure solution for the given
|Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria|
|LO1 Explore deflection due to wind loadings, on fixed structures, and strategies to resist wind loading.||D1 Calculate and size the type of lateral stiffening required to resist wind loading for a given structure.|
|P1 Calculate wind loads on fixed structures. P2 Discuss methods to resist or manage wind loading.||M1 Analyse the relationship between building form and wind loading.|
|LO2 Determine bending, shear and deflection for complex support conditions.|
|P3 Calculate bending and shear in complex support conditions. P4 Determine deflection in complex support conditions. P5 Evaluate structural connections in relation to complex support conditions.||M2 Discuss the relationship between bending, shear and deflection.||D2 Critically evaluate different materials and their structural efficiency in managing bending, shear and deflection.|
|LO3 Design complex columns and piled foundations based on calculation|
|P6 Calculate the axial load carrying capacity of complex column, with eccentric loading. P7 Calculate the axial load carrying capacity of reinforced concrete piled foundations. P8 Prepare design information for a structure utilising piled foundations and steel columns.||M3 Discuss the benefits of using Building Information Modelling in the design workflow.||D3 Assess the most effective foundation type for a given scenario in terms of ease and speed of construction, economics, safety and environmental factors.|
|LO4 Explore the design of tensile structures|
|P9 Discuss the differences types of tensile structures||M4 Compare tensile structural solutions to a given scenario||D4 Justify the choice of tensile structure solution for a given scenario.|
|P10 Design a simple tensile structure for a given scenario|