In earlier units of the course, we explored the concepts of values and ethics, including how they might contribute to internal or external conflict in the workplace. In this assignment, we are tying together the first elements of the course, exploring the importance of ethics in the public sector.
To be a successful public administrator, one must understand one’s own values and ethical perspective, that of the organization, and that of the community one serves. In developing an appreciation of these perspectives, you will gain insight into the community’s expectations of public administrators and how their values, your values, and the values of those in your organization must be taken into consideration to build communication bridges that support the development of collaborative approaches to accomplish your organizational mission.
You will develop a paper that explores the concept of ethics, focusing on how ethical considerations play a role in the function and practice of public administration. You must provide insights into:
- Analysis of differing definitions of ethics in public sector settings.
- Evaluating how ethics might frame the perception of public administration by the general public.
- Evaluating how ethics might frame the practice of public administration by those in public sector settings.
- Analysis of the importance of creating an ethical organizational environment in a public sector setting.
- Written communication: Your writing should clearly identify where each grading criteria or part of the assignment is addressed. Your points must be logical, substantive, and relevant based on the evidence presented. The writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA guidelines: Resources and citations must be formatted according to current APA style and formatting. When appropriate, use APA-formatted headings.
- Resources: Your ideas must be supported with relevant recent, scholarly sources published within the past five (5) years, such as the type of articles you can find in the Capella University Library (see Resources area). They should also be properly cited and referenced in current APA style.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Writing assistanceis available through the Writing Center or Smarthinking, the free, online writing tutorial and review service (further information available in Resources).